Friday, April 29, 2011

Avery and the Promise Box


My gift to Jack had to come from the soul. Jasper and I knew exactly what to purchase. After visiting numerous little shops around the Upper East Side, we came across a modestly elegant sterling silver box. We then pressed on to Jasper’s stationer where I purchased 19 individual notecards, each precisely sized to fit perfectly into the box.

I wrote a promise to Jack on each notecard. One promise to right each of the 19 ways he felt I’d wronged him.

1.      I promise to always listen to you.
2.      I promise to value your opinion.
3.      I promise to be more physically affectionate.
      
And on, and on and on.

When the final card was complete, I gingerly placed them in what I christened the Promise Box. Jasper, recognizing that presentation is 10 percent of the law, suggested we go to Saks Fifth Avenue to have it professionally wrapped. They did a marvelous job—the paper folded seamlessly and the ribbon’s knot tied just so.

Only a few hours remaining until my flight to Chicago departed. Jasper and I returned to his apartment and toasted the completed project well done over a glass of scotch. The doorman called up. My chariot had arrived. We said our goodbyes, and Jasper wished me luck on my presentation that evening. Moments later, I was in a black town car, gliding silently along Park Avenue toward the bridge to LaGuardia Airport and what I thought was my endless future with Jack.


My flight landed right on time. After deboarding the plane, I made my way down to the arrival pickup just beyond the baggage claim. Before exiting the building, I saw my car parallel parked along the sidewalk. The headlights were on, as night had fallen. Although I couldn't make out his features, I could see Jack’s silhouette behind the steering wheel. “He came to pick me up,” I thought to myself, “that’s a good sign, right?”

I hoped—prayed that Jack would be moved by my gesture. That he’d understand that this Promise Box was a symbol of my commitment to him and our relationship. I took a deep breath and headed toward the car. It was show time.

No comments:

Post a Comment