Friday, May 13, 2011

Avery Begins Act II. Places, Please.

I contacted Dr. Drexel Carrington, a therapist previously been referred to me by a trusted colleague who’d fallen upon rough times of her own. She’d spoken very highly of him, saying he helped her view her problems in a realistic light, allowing her to take ownership of her role in creating those issues. I guess he’s the Dr. Phil of the Near North Side. As luck would have it, he was available to see me on the following day.

This wouldn’t be the first time that I’d tried therapy. I saw my first therapist shortly after my 21st birthday, with the goal of helping navigate the rough waters one encounters when navigating toward adulthood. I grew exponentially during those sessions. I learned a lot about myself and began to concretely define my value system. Yet, nearly 10 years later, I felt as though I was back where I’d started.

Jane Fonda believes that life is broken down into three acts. The first is your act of learning. It is when you make your mistakes. The second, which begins when you turn 30, is your act of working. You’ve made your mistakes and are now ready to put all that you’ve learned into practice. Your third and final act begins on your 60th day on Earth. This is your act of reflection. When you look back on all you’ve learned, the mistakes you’ve made and the achievement you have accomplished.

When I first heard this theory, I laughed it off. Only an actress, I said to myself, would view life as though it were a three act play. On this day, however, I had to reevaluate my assessment. Maybe she was on to something.

The overture of my first act underscored a vignette of a relatively normal, if not idyllic, suburban childhood. The audience gasped when I came out of the closet, and cheered as I accomplished my goal of becoming a nurse. My first act ended with a dramatic thud. “Alone with my sorrows,” to quote Cole Porter, “down in the depths on the 90th floor.”

Maybe Dr. Drexel Carrington would cue the orchestra to begin playing the entr’acte. Maybe this melodrama would continue, with our protagonist embarking on great adventures, triumphing over evil and ultimately finding love. Maybe the star of our show would live happily ever after. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment