Thursday, June 9, 2011

Avery Learns That Reinforcements Will Be Arriving Soon

Surprisingly, I was only 20 minutes late for work. I quickly found a parking spot and raced into the hospital. Just as I was about to step in to the elevator my cell phone rang. I answered.

“Sorry I missed your call,” Jasper said, “I was at the liquor store.” He’d been where I desperately wanted to be. “I saw you called,” he continued, “What’s up.”

“Nothing,” I replied, covering. “Just a little car accident.”

“What?!?!” he exclaimed. I could hear a glass crashing in the background.

 “It’s no big deal,” I assured him. “It was just a little fender bender. No real damage was done.”
Jasper got quiet. “Hello?” I asked. Still nothing. After a moment I could hear the sound of ice in a cocktail shaker.

“Sorry,” Jasper finally replied, “refill time.” Jasper took a moment to sip his freshly made martini then continued. “I can’t let you do this.”

“Do what?” I asked. I tried to play innocent but knew exactly what he was driving at.

“You’re self-destructing.

“Nonsense.” I was covering and he knew it.

“Avery, you crashed your car. Have you seen a therapist?”

“Yes.” I replied sheepishly.

“Oh my goodness. You’ve got a crush on him!”

“Do not!” I protested. I was lying through my teeth. This is the problem with friends you’ve had since childhood. They know all too well how to read between the lines. This can be both a blessing and a curse. In this instance, however, it was a blessing.

“Well, I’m putting an end to this,” Jasper continued.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that I’m coming to Chicago. I arrive on Friday.”

With that, Jasper excused himself to tend to arriving guests. I hung up the phone and got on the elevator. At that moment, I knew that things were going to be looking up.




No comments:

Post a Comment