Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Avery’s Beautiful Laundrette

As I said before, Jack is younger than I. When we met, he was a college student home for summer break. We became inseparable after taking in that first movie. A week later, he invited me to dinner at his father’s home. I know. We moved really fast.

Jack’s parents are divorced. More about that later. Believe me. It’s really juicy. Jack lived with his mother in Melrose Park, while his father lived in Irving Park with his mother’s replacement. Armed with a bouquet of flowers and a beautifully presented dessert tray, I collected Jack who was with his mother at a local Laundromat—I know. Just as Jasper reacted, you’ve probably fallen into a fit of hysterics. I swear the courtship of Jack and I was more romantic than it sounds.

I parked the car and checked myself in the mirror. I was really nervous. Meeting the parents is always a big deal. It was even more so in this case, because Jack and I had only just met. I felt right, nevertheless. I was really into him.

Jack was helping his mother fold towels as I entered the Laundromat. I crossed to them and said hello. Jack smiled and exuberantly hugged me. He then turned toward his mother and said, “I’m gay and this is my new boyfriend.”



The mother and I locked eyes and froze. I had NOT expected this type of introduction. Clearly, she hadn’t either. After an awkward beat, I extended my hand and said, “I’m Avery. Nice to meet you.”

I count the seconds until I could bolt from the uneasy situation. Then it donned on me. I was soon going to have the same uncomfortable exchange with his father and stepmonster. And then stay for dinner. This was going to be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment